The new program in Risk Management and Insurance will focus on identifying, assessing and managing risks facing businesses and organizations.
Organizations that manage risk well are more likely to be successful than those that do not. Effective risk management requires a solid understanding of the sources, dimensions and qualities of risk, as well as the development and implementation of efficient techniques to mitigate, control or avoid those risks. Gain these skills and become competitive in the field of risk management and insurance.
By the time students graduate, they should be able to:
- Identify and analyze typical operational and financial risks faced by organizations
- Assess and quantify organizational risks
- Analyze and address deficiencies in corporate insurance coverages
- Develop strategies for brokering corporate insurance
- Understand how insurance companies operate
In addition to the core finance department requirements, the Risk Management and Insurance concentration will require three core courses:
- Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance
- Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance
- Enterprise Risk Management — Capstone Course
In addition, students will be required to complete an internship and select from several electives in risk management, finance and other related disciplines.
Risk Management and Insurance prepares you for careers in:
- Insurance underwriting and claims management
- Insurance sales and brokering
- Corporate risk management
- Banking and financial services
- Governance and compliance
- Employee benefits